Naomi and Ruth

Naomi and Ruth

Monday, July 4, 2011

Haiti- Part 2

My God is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that is in us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.
--Ephesians 3:20-21

Haiti was a stretch for me. I learned years ago, that God takes us out of our comfort zone to mold our hearts to be used where He wants us. I am humbled to experience God teaching me the way He did this past week.
Here are a few ways I was stretched beyond my comfort zone, but God showed up far more abundantly than I could ever ask or think every time!
1.  Going to a third world country while pregnant was a concern of mine--but God allowed me to be confident that I felt my baby moving, for the first times this past week!

2.  I had asked for prayer concerning my Crohn's, knowing I'd be eating foods that were out of my control---God prevented me from feeling ANY ill symptoms all week!

3.  I hate bug bites. We were warned there'd be mosquitos, lots of them, inside and out, day and night. They were right--But God gave us wisdom in Off and a little Deet day and night, on skin and sheets makes all the difference in the world!

4.  It was hot. Very hot, with no escaping the heat--God provided spf 45, and no sunburn to complain about.

5.  I was concerned about dehydrating, amidst travelling and the heat while pregnant--God provided Culligan, even in Haiti. Even warm water is hydrating, and I experienced very little swelling.

6.  We were told there'd only be cold water to shower--God made even cold water refreshing in the heat we were in.

7.  We touched sickness, from viral symptoms, to respiratory infections, to skin diseases, to GI problems--God allowed each of us to return healthy with His healing touch.

8.  It was my first experience with a language barrier as strong as we were in. It was very rare for someone to know even a little English--God allowed us to build relationships with a couple interrpretors, and my high school french came back to be more and more each day.

9.  We went with the expectation that we would adopt one child--God made it VERY clear He had chosen two for us to call our own!

Ok, I admit, I saved the last one for last :) It's impossible to explain the way God worked in my heart and Jason's heart this week. There were emotions we never experienced before and didn't expect. We were introduced to Ruth and Naomi, along with all the kids that live in their home on our first day in country. We had longed for twins when we started the process to adopt, but thought it was out of our league since we are pregnant. It was an emotional battle, but we ruled them out initially because we thought we couldn't handle two more. But every day we were drawn back to them, and felt God leading our hearts. I'm ashamed to say, we considerd separating them for a short time. We were given permission and dismissal to choose only one, but that felt like an impossible task. I couldn't imagine it, even though it was explained that it would make the other sister more adoptable. The logic made sense for a short time, but God didn't let it rest in our hearts.
I knew I needed wisdom that was beyond us, so I cried out to God to give us His wisdom and show us clearly the specific child He had for us! As I quietly read the book of Ruth, it was clear that Ruth refused to leave Naomi's side, even when she was given permission, even when it could have made sense for her young life.  In Ruth 1:16 she clearly said "Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from following you; for where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people will be my people, and your God my God."

I finally had peace. It was clear there was no way we could separate them. But I knew God had to tell Jason the same thing. We were separated a few days because of the different projects we were working on, so talking privately wasn't easy. I prayed with 2 groups of people that God would unite our hearts and make the decision clear to both of us. When we finally had a chance to step away after dinner, there was nothing to really discuss, God had already settled it in both of our hearts, that even though the task is God sized, we are confident He will equip us for the responsibility He has called us to. To be mom and dad to 6 children! We are blessed beyond we could ask or think! Praise God for life and life abundant!!

No comments:

Post a Comment